We fear other's opinions for no good reason
我們無緣無故地害怕別人的看法
Part 1: Understanding the Problem 認識問題
Have you ever wanted to do something but felt too afraid because of what others might think? Maybe you wanted to try a new hobby, wear a unique outfit, or even start a business, but you stopped yourself. Why? Most likely, it’s because of fear of others' opinions.
你有沒有想過做某件事,但因害怕別人怎麼看而不敢去做?也許你想嘗試一個新的愛好,穿一件與眾不同的衣服,甚至創業,但你卻停止了。為什麼?很可能是因為害怕別人的看法。
But here’s the truth: their opinions often don’t matter as much as you think. Life is short and transitory (短暫的). If we spend all our time worrying about others, we won’t have the chance to do what we really want to do.
但事實是:他們的意見往往沒有你想的那麼重要。生命是短暫的。如果我們花所有的時間擔心別人,我們就沒有機會做自己真正想做的事情。
Part 2: Key Vocabulary 關鍵詞彙
Let’s learn some important words from this topic.
讓我們學習一些與這個主題相關的重要詞彙。
- Opinion (n.) – 看法
Definition: What someone thinks about a topic.
意思:某人對某件事情的觀點或看法。
Example: "Everyone has different opinions about what’s best."
(每個人對什麼是最好的都有不同的看法。) - Creative capacity (n.) – 創造力
Definition: The ability to create or make something new.
意思:創造或製造新事物的能力。
Example: "You have the creative capacity to make great art!"
(你有能力創造出偉大的藝術!) - Fear (n./v.) – 恐懼、害怕
Definition: The feeling of being scared of something.
意思:對某事物感到害怕的感覺。
Example: "Don’t let fear stop you from following your dreams."
(不要讓恐懼阻止你追隨夢想。) - Transitory (adj.) – 短暫的
Definition: Something temporary that doesn’t last forever.
意思:形容持續時間很短的事物。
Example: "Life is transitory, so enjoy every moment."
(生命是短暫的,所以享受每一刻吧。) - Justified (adj.) – 有正當理由的
Definition: Something that makes sense or is reasonable.
意思:描述某事是合理的或有正當理由的。
Example: "Your fears are not justified; they’re just in your mind."
(你的恐懼並不合理,那只是你心裡的想法。)
Part 3: Reading Practice 閱讀練習
Now, let’s read a short text:
現在,讓我們來閱讀一段短文:
We fear others' opinions for no good reason. If we were alone in this world but still had creative capacity to do what we wanted, what would we do? What would you create? Why aren't you doing that now? Is it because of fear of what others will think? Are their opinions justified or more valuable than your soon-to-end transitory existence?
Most likely, no.
(我們無緣無故地害怕別人的看法。如果這個世界上只有我們一個人,但依然擁有創造的能力,你會做什麼?你會創造什麼?為什麼現在不去做?是因為害怕別人怎麼看嗎?他們的看法真的有道理,或者比你即將結束的短暫生命更有價值嗎?)
(很可能,並沒有。)
Part 4: Think About It 思考練習
Let’s reflect on the reading. Answer these questions to yourself:
讓我們反思這段閱讀。自己回答以下問題:
- Why do you think we fear others’ opinions?
(為什麼我們害怕別人的看法?) - If no one was watching or judging you, what would you create or do?
(如果沒有人會評判你,你會做什麼或創造什麼?) - Are others’ opinions really more valuable than your life goals?
(別人的看法真的比你的生命目標更重要嗎?)
Part 5: Practice Writing and Speaking 寫作與口語練習
Writing Exercise 寫作練習: Write a short paragraph answering this question:
What’s one thing you want to do but haven’t done because of fear? How can you overcome this fear?
(有什麼事情是你想做卻因為恐懼而沒有做的?你如何克服這種恐懼?)
Speaking Practice 口語練習: Stand in front of a mirror or record yourself saying this sentence:
"I will not let the fear of others' opinions stop me from living my life."
(我不會讓對他人看法的恐懼阻止我過自己的人生。)
Final Thoughts 最後的想法
The fear of others’ opinions is something we all feel, but it’s not a good reason to stop yourself. Life is short, and your dreams are important. Remember, their opinions are not more valuable than your happiness or your goals. So, what will you do today to overcome this fear?
害怕別人的看法是我們所有人都會有的感覺,但這不是阻止自己的好理由。生命是短暫的,你的夢想很重要。記住,他們的看法並不比你的快樂或目標更有價值。所以,今天你會做什麼來克服這種恐懼呢?
Let’s take a step forward together!
讓我們一起邁出一步吧!